You might have overheard some people in your Yoga class claiming that sheepskin is better as a Yoga mat. And you couldn’t help but ask how a piece of a dead animal’s skin is better than the one that you’ve been using- that sticky- fabricated designed for a yoga mat? Well, according to our research, there are many reasons why sheepskin is better and some are found below. Sheepskin (well actually ours are lambskin) has been growing more popular over the last few years, exceptionally more popular as the stressed out take to Yoga and meditation in greater numbers.
Why Sheepskin is Better as Yoga mat?
- Lambskin is natural unlike any typical rubber sticky made yoga mat which consumed much energy and fumes in making them. And since sheepskin is natural, using it is good as saying you are taking yourself away from the toxic of rubber made yoga mat.
- Sheepskin yoga mats are natural so it will not give off an electric charge that synthetic yoga mats give. This is because while synthetic yoga mat is 100% insulator of electrical energy, sheepskin is acting only as a partial insulator and provides undisturbed release of static electricity created by the natural friction of the body and the environment allowing the user to experience deeper states of connection to their Self and the Universe
- Lambskin, unlike synthetic yoga mat, promotes better blood circulation and body relaxation
- Lambskin Yoga Mats are softer
- Sheepskin, unlike synthetic yoga mat, which either becomes sweaty or absorbs sweat immediately and submits that into the air 7 x faster.
- Lambskin, unlike synthetic yoga mat, provides 100% natural comfort due to its 100% natural softness without a touch of any softening chemicals.
- Sheepskin Yoga Mats, unlike synthetic yoga mat, won’t irritate the sensitive skin, but help heal it instead because it has anti-bacterial resistance feature.
- Lambskin, unlike synthetic yoga mat, contains lanolin making it gentle on the skin. Lanolin is a basic substance similar to that found in human skin so using a sheepskin as a yoga mat will feel like being caressed and touched by Mother Nature.
Types and Shapes
With Lambskin, they do come in a wide variety of sizes, shapes and colours. Choose from a rectangle or a natural shape or a double. We can even do round mats, really the choice is yours. We can do these in Longwool -60mm plus wool pile length or short wool 24-27mm wool pile. Additionally, we can do these in different sizes, sizes to suit your needs and budgets. Ozwool Sheepskin Tannery can customise your Yoga or Meditation mat to suit your desires.
These reasons are the exact same reasons why more and more yogis (yoga devotees) are turning to natural Australian sheepskin yoga mats and why more and more yoga leaders and teachers, especially Kundalini Yoga leaders and teachers, who recommend them over the use of the traditional thin rubber, super-sticky, claimed-to-be eco-friendly yoga mats.
Recommended by Spiritual Yoga leaders
But I know what you’re thinking. Aren’t yogis supposed to avoid eating or wearing any animal products or by-products just like what the dedicated Jivamukti style of yoga promotes? Well, to tell you the truth, that did cross my mind too, so I went on to do a little basic research only to found out the there’s no rule that is against eating, wearing, or using animal products in Yoga. In fact, Kundalini Yoga spiritual leader Bhajan, when asked about using skin products in Yoga, he said that the skins were just a by-product of the meat and that the sheep was helped to get to a far higher place in its spiritual evolution when its skin was used for yoga or meditation.